Journal of Comparative Family Studies
JOURNAL OF COMPARATIVE FAMILY STUDIES*
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND MANUSCRIPT STYLE GUIDE – 2013
1) All documents must be formatted in MICROSOFT WORD 2003. NO PDF or other file formats. Please use a LEFT margin.
2) REQUIRED – EACH must be submitted as a SEPARATE FILE and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
a) A TITLE page with article title, author name/s, and affiliation with complete postal mailing address, telephone number, and email address for EACH author.
b) An English ABSTRACT of approximately 250 words.
c) The MANUSCRIPT, properly formatted as per guidelines listed below.
3) Manuscripts should be about 5000 words (20-25 pgs. maximum), line spacing 1-1/2”, one-sided, Times New Roman font, Size 12. Style: MAIN headings in UPPER-CASE, bold lettering and centered. Sub-Headings are in bold and lower-case, at left margin. Subset headings in Italics, not bold, left margin.
must be placed at bottom of each corresponding page, (see below). All Endnotes and Appendices should be at the end of the article, and on a SEPARATE page. URLs must appear in References only. No embedded hyperlinks.
5) EACH Table and Figure must be camera ready, laser printer quality, and EACH on a SEPARATE page placed AFTER the References. PLEASE STATE the exact location within the text where the table belongs (i.e., Table 2 about here, Figure 1 about here).
Note: The Journal is published in black and white. Do not use colour in Figures and Tables.
6) REFERENCES: Each reference must be cited within the text, and vice versa, single-spaced. NO indentations, left aligned margin only, with one blank line between each reference. Follow the American Psychological Association (APA) reference style guide (except please follow #4 above for ALL Footnotes and URLs). For information on APA Editorial Style, please go to http://www.apastyle.org
Format of CITATIONS within the TEXT:
►ALL citations are to be identified at an appropriate point within the text by using the last name of author and year of publication. The following examples illustrate the style:
"…of children (Yin and Casey, 1983)," or "Lewin (2006) and Stake et al., (2005)….”
►Multiple citations should be cited in alphabetical order.
"Earlier studies (Abbott, 2006; Forge, 2004; Hunt and Wolcott, 2002; Yong, 2000)….”
Format of REFERENCE LIST
List ALL references in alphabetical order. Use the following example style:
Drobniĉ, S. (2003). Ties between lives: Dynamics of employment patterns of spouses. In W.R. Heinz and V.W. Marshall, (Eds.), Social Dynamics of the Life Course (pp. 259-278). New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
Heinz, W.R. (ed.). (1991). The Life Course and Social Change: Comparative Perspectives. Weinheim: Deutscher Studien Verlag.
AFTER successful peer review and editorial approval for publication, authors must supply a LASER PRINT COPY and a CD of files in MS Word 2003 only, Times New Roman 12:
The ABSTRACT in English, French and Spanish, each as a separate file.
A TITLE PAGE, that must include up-to-date postal AND email information for EACH author.
PUBLICATION-READY, Revised Manuscript.
This is important as we do not send out galleys for pre-publication review.
We do NOT make reprints. Authors receive TWO copies of the issue. Reprints may be made by authors for educational purposes but not to sell.
*All articles are copyright of the Journal of Comparative Family Studies (JCFS). JCFS hold the global copyright for all forms of media (e.g., print and electronic) now and hereafter known. Any use of this material in any media requires a copyright permission from the JCFS. For commercial use there is a fee. Please recognize that posting any published material on the web or in other forms of media is a violation of copyright.
JCFS Mailing Address Contact and Website Information
Journal of Comparative Family Studies Email: email@example.com
Department of Sociology Telephone: 403-220-7317
University of Calgary Fax: 403-282-9298
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, Alberta T2N 1N4 Canada Website: http://soci.ucalgary.ca/jcfs
Are you a PhD student? Would you like to review books for the Journal? If so, please send us your name, mailing and email address, affiliation and four areas of competency. We will keep your information on file and contact you as books become available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org